Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws -TradeSphere
Rekubit-Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 00:29:21
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video game maker Epic Games sued Google and RekubitSamsung on Monday, accusing the tech companies of coordinating to block third-party competition in application distribution on Samsung devices.
At issue is Samsung’s “Auto Blocker” feature, which only allows for apps from authorized sources, such as the Samsung Galaxy Store or Google Play Store, to be installed. The feature is turned on by default but can be changed in a phone’s settings. The tool prevents the installation of applications from unauthorized sources and blocks “malicious activity,” according to Samsung.
In a lawsuit filed in San Francisco federal court — Epic’s second against Google — the company said Auto Blocker “is virtually guaranteed to entrench Google’s dominance over Android app distribution.” Epic, developer of the popular game “Fortnite,” filed the suit to prevent Google from “negating the long overdue promise of competition in the Android App Distribution Market,” according to the complaint.
“Allowing this coordinated illegal anti-competitive dealing to proceed hurts developers and consumers and undermines both the jury’s verdict and regulatory and legislative progress around the world,” Epic Games said in a post on its website.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Samsung said it “actively fosters market competition, enhances consumer choice, and conducts its operations fairly.”
“The features integrated into our devices are designed in accordance with Samsung’s core principles of security, privacy, and user control, and we remain fully committed to safeguarding users’ personal data. Users have the choice to disable Auto Blocker at any time,” Samsung said, adding that it plans to “vigorously contest Epic Game’s baseless claims.”
Epic launched its Epic Games Store on iPhones in the European Union and on Android devices worldwide in August. The company claims that it now takes “an exceptionally onerous 21-step process” to download a third-party app outside of the Google Play Store or the Samsung Galaxy Store. But a support page on Epic’s website shows a four-step process to remove the Auto Blocker setting.
Epic won its first antitrust lawsuit against Google in December after a jury found that Google’s Android app store had been protected by anti-competitive barriers that damaged smartphone consumers and software developers.
The game maker says the “Auto Blocker” feature was intentionally crafted in coordination with Google to preemptively undermine the jury’s verdict in that case.
“Literally no store can compete with the incumbents when disadvantaged in this way,” Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said on X. “To have true competition, all reputable stores and apps must be free to compete on a level playing field.”
veryGood! (776)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- DC Young Fly Dedicates Netflix Comedy Special to Partner Jacky Oh After Her Death
- Why the EPA puts a higher value on rich lives lost to climate change
- A Disillusioned ExxonMobil Engineer Quits to Take Action on Climate Change and Stop ‘Making the World Worse’
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- California Has Begun Managing Groundwater Under a New Law. Experts Aren’t Sure It’s Working
- 15 Products to Keep Your Pets Safe & Cool This Summer
- Southern Charm's Taylor Ann Green Honors Late Brother Worth After His Death
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Baby boy dies in Florida after teen mother puts fentanyl in baby bottle, sheriff says
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Biden’s Pause of New Federal Oil and Gas Leases May Not Reduce Production, but It Signals a Reckoning With Fossil Fuels
- Armie Hammer and Elizabeth Chambers Settle Divorce 3 Years After Breakup
- Get $115 Worth of MAC Cosmetics Products for Just $61 Before This Deal Disappears
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Britney Spears Says She Visited With Sister Jamie Lynn Spears After Rocky Relationship
- Get $115 Worth of MAC Cosmetics Products for Just $61 Before This Deal Disappears
- Nearly 1 in 10 U.S. children have been diagnosed with a developmental disability, CDC reports
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Warming Trends: Tuna for Vegans, Battery Technology and Climate Drives a Tree-Killer to Higher Climes
Inside Clean Energy: With Planned Closing of North Dakota Coal Plant, Energy Transition Comes Home to Rural America
Gunman who killed 11 people at Pittsburgh synagogue is found eligible for death penalty
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Titanic Submersible Disappearance: “Underwater Noises” Heard Amid Massive Search
Is it hot in here, or is it just the new jobs numbers?
In the Amazon, the World’s Largest Reservoir of Biodiversity, Two-Thirds of Species Have Lost Habitat to Fire and Deforestation