Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TradeSphere
Fastexy:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 02:29:28
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Fastexyagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (82486)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Democrats Embrace Price on Carbon While Clinton Steers Clear of Carbon Tax
- 2024 dark horse GOP presidential candidate Doug Burgum launches campaign with $3 million ad buy
- Amid vaccine shortages, Lebanon faces its first cholera outbreak in three decades
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Is Coal Ash Killing This Oklahoma Town?
- Keeping Global Warming to 1.5 Degrees Could Spare Millions Pain of Dengue Fever
- More than 1 billion young people could be at risk of hearing loss, a new study shows
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Enbridge’s Kalamazoo Spill Saga Ends in $177 Million Settlement
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- He started protesting about his middle school principal. Now he's taking on Big Oil
- Kroy Biermann Seeking Sole Legal and Physical Custody of His and Kim Zolciak's Kids Amid Divorce
- Justice Department unseals Donald Trump indictment — and reveals the charges against him
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- $45 million misconduct settlement for man paralyzed in police van largest in nation's history, lawyers say
- Only Kim Kardashian Could Make Wearing a Graphic Tee and Mom Jeans Look Glam
- Chile Cancels Plan to Host UN Climate Summit Amid Civil Unrest at Home
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
The strange but true story of how a Kenyan youth became a world-class snow carver
Anxious while awaiting election results? Here are expert tips to help you cope
Why Do We Cry?
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
A SCOTUS nursing home case could limit the rights of millions of patients
Aileen Cannon, Trump-appointed judge, assigned initially to oversee documents case
Elliot Page Shares Shirtless Selfie While Reflecting on Dysphoria Journey