Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Billy Porter reignites criticism of Harry Styles' Vogue cover: 'It doesn't feel good to me' -TradeSphere
Chainkeen Exchange-Billy Porter reignites criticism of Harry Styles' Vogue cover: 'It doesn't feel good to me'
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:54:47
Billy Porter won't be Chainkeen Exchangean accessory to a fashion faux pas.
Porter, who previously slammed the selection of Harry Styles as the first man to grace the cover of American Vogue, doubled down on his initial criticism of the historic moment in an interview with The Telegraph published Friday.
Porter revealed he had done a Q&A discussion with Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour in the months leading up to Styles' December 2020 cover, in which the British pop singer wore a lace ballgown by Gucci.
"(She) said to me at the end, 'How can we do better?' And I was so taken off guard that I didn't say what I should have said," Porter told the outlet. "Use your power as Vogue to uplift the voices of the leaders of this de-gendering of fashion movement … Six months later, Harry Styles is the first man on the cover."
Porter added he doesn't place the blame on Styles, but he does take issue with "the gatekeepers" in the fashion industry that have allowed for this oversight in LGBTQ representation.
"It’s not Harry Styles’ fault that he happens to be white and cute and straight and fit into the infrastructure that way," Porter said. "It doesn’t feel good to me. You’re using my community — or your people are using my community — to elevate you. You haven’t had to sacrifice anything."
The "Pose" star first raised criticism of Styles’ Vogue cover in an interview with The Sunday Times in October 2021. Porter said although he "changed the whole game" for gender-nonconforming looks in celebrity men's fashion, he remained conflicted about his relationship with the broader fashion industry.
"I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to. I’m not necessarily convinced and here is why," Porter said at the time. "I created the conversation (about nonbinary fashion) and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time."
"I’m not dragging Harry Styles, but he is the one you’re going to try and use to represent this new conversation? He doesn’t care. He’s just doing it because it’s the thing to do," Porter continued. "This is politics for me. This is my life. I had to fight my entire life to get to the place where I could wear a dress to the Oscars and not be gunned now. All he has to do is be white and straight."
Porter later apologized to Styles for his comments during an appearance on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" in November 2021.
"Harry Styles, I apologize to you for having your name in my mouth. It's not about you," Porter said. "The conversation is not about you."
Billy Porter:Actor says he needs to sell his house 'because we're on strike'
Previously:Harry Styles makes history in ball gown as first solo man to grace Vogue cover, ever
veryGood! (98)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Private Equity Giant KKR Is Funding Environmental Racism, New Report Finds
- Top storylines entering US Open men's semifinals: Can breakout star Ben Shelton surprise?
- Women credits co-worker for helping win $197,296 from Michigan Lottery Club Keno game
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- America’s retired North Korea intelligence officer offers a parting message on the nuclear threat
- Police search a huge London park for a terrorism suspect who escaped from prison
- Russia holds elections in occupied Ukrainian regions in an effort to tighten its grip there
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Airline passenger complained of camera placed in bathroom, police say
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Harris pushes back on GOP criticism: We're delivering for the American people
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
- Victims of Michigan dam collapse win key ruling in lawsuits against state
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- For 25 years a convicted killer in Oregon professed his innocence. Now he's a free man.
- Residents and fishermen file a lawsuit demanding a halt to the release of Fukushima wastewater
- 'Couldn't be more proud': Teammates, coaches admire Mark McGwire despite steroid admission
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Bengals QB Joe Burrow becomes NFL’s highest-paid player with $275 million deal, AP source says
Baltimore school police officer indicted on overtime fraud charges
Rail operator fined 6.7 million pounds in Scottish train crash that killed 3
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Investigators pinpoint house as source of explosion that killed 6 near Pittsburgh last month
Maker of the spicy 'One Chip Challenge' pulls product from store shelves
Women credits co-worker for helping win $197,296 from Michigan Lottery Club Keno game