Current:Home > MyBenjamin Ashford|Gilgo Beach Murders Case: Authorities Detail Suspect Rex Heuermann's "Concerning" Internet History -TradeSphere
Benjamin Ashford|Gilgo Beach Murders Case: Authorities Detail Suspect Rex Heuermann's "Concerning" Internet History
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 22:33:27
Authorities say they've unearthed chilling evidence in the case of the Long Island serial killer—including his alarming search history.
Days after suspect Rex Heuermann was arrested and Benjamin Ashfordcharged in connection to the murders of three women found in Gilgo Beach over a decade ago, the prosecuting attorney on the case has given insight into their investigation.
According to authorities, once Heuermann was identified as a suspect, they say that investigators were able to trace his burner phones, which led to the discovery of additional burner phones, fake email accounts and false identities he had used in the process of "gathering a massive amount of digital evidence and trace evidence."
"We saw all this, really sort of concerning searches that he was undergoing," Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney told People July 19. "In a 14-month period, over 200 times, he's searching for information about the Gilgo investigation. He's trying to figure out what we're up to."
According to NBC New York, prosecutors said questions included in his search history included, "Why could law enforcement not trace the calls made by the long island serial killer" and "Why hasn't the long island serial killer been caught." Additionally, investigators also allege they found hundreds of internet searches about sexual abuse toward women and child pornography, as well as searches for victims and their families.
"He was obsessively looking at the victims," Tierney noted. "But he's also looking at the victim's siblings."
Heuermann was also seemingly captivated by other serial killers, per authorities, with his online history featuring searches for "11 currently active serial killers," and "8 Terrifying Active Serial Killers (We Can't Find)."
According to Tierney, Heuermann, a 59-year-old man from Massapequa Park, was "pretty surprised" when he was arrested July 13.
"I think he lived this double life, and he used the anonymity of phones and computers to shield himself from the rest of society," the district attorney said. "Unfortunately for him—and fortunately for the rest of us—he wasn't successful."
Upon his arrest, Heuermann was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, 24; Megan Waterman, 22; and Amber Lynn Costello, 27. He pleaded not guilty to all counts at an arraignment on July 14, per his defense attorney Michael J. Brown.
"There is nothing about Mr. Heuermann that would suggest that he is involved in these incidents," Brown said in a July 14 statement to E! News. "And while the government has decided to focus on him despite more significant and stronger leads, we are looking forward to defending him in a court of law before a fair and impartial jury of his peers."
According to NBC News, he is also suspected in the disappearance and death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, whose remains were also found near Gilgo Beach.
The women were among the remains of 11 people who were discovered after the 2010 disappearance of Shannan Gilbert kickstarted an investigation. (Her remains were found by police on Oak Beach in December 2011.)
Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison previously described Heuermann as "a demon that walks amongst us, a predator that ruined families."
"However, even with this arrest, we're not done," Harrison said during a July 14 press conference. "There's more work to do in the investigation in regards to the other victims of the Gilgo Beach bodies that were discovered."
(E! and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For more true crime updates on your need-to-know cases, head to Oxygen.com.veryGood! (85)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Want to be a writer? This bleak but buoyant guide says to get used to rejection
- 2023 Oscars Guide: International Feature
- As Ryuichi Sakamoto returns with '12,' fellow artists recall his impact
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Michelle Yeoh is the first Asian woman to win best actress Oscar
- What's making us happy: A guide to your weekend viewing
- Poetry finally has its own Grammy category – mostly thanks to J. Ivy, nominee
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Get these Sundance 2023 movies on your radar now
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Lisa Loring, the original Wednesday Addams, is dead at 64
- Restrictions On Drag Shows Have A History In The U.S.
- Oscar nominee Stephanie Hsu is everywhere, all at once
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Theater never recovered from COVID — and now change is no longer a choice
- 'Dr. No' is a delightfully escapist romp and an incisive sendup of espionage fiction
- What even are Oscar predictions, really?
Recommendation
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
'80 for Brady' assembles screen legends to celebrate [checks notes] Tom Brady
Rescue crews start a new search for actor Julian Sands after recovering another hiker
Roald Dahl's publisher responds to backlash by keeping 'classic' texts in print
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
'The Coldest Case' is Serial's latest podcast on murder and memory
2022 Books We Love: Nonfiction
Famous poet Pablo Neruda was poisoned after a coup, according to a new report