Current:Home > FinanceOregon man sentenced to death for 1988 murder is free after conviction reversed: "A lot of years for something I didn't do" -TradeSphere
Oregon man sentenced to death for 1988 murder is free after conviction reversed: "A lot of years for something I didn't do"
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:26:47
A man sentenced to death for a 1998 murder is now free, two years after the Oregon Court of Appeals reversed the conviction.
The Oregon Innocence Project on Wednesday accused the state of committing a "heinous injustice" in its handling of the case. The Marion County District Attorney's office on Tuesday asked the Marion County Circuit Court to dismiss the case against Jesse Johnson, saying that "based upon the amount of time that has passed and the unavailability of critical evidence in this case, the state no longer believes that it can prove the defendant's guilt."
The court granted the motion, and late Tuesday, Johnson walked out of the county jail where he was held while prosecutors had mulled a retrial for the stabbing death of nurse's aide Harriet "Sunny" Thompson, 28, in her Salem home. Johnson, who is Black, has repeatedly claimed innocence and refused a plea deal over the years.
Video shot outside the jail Tuesday showed Johnson, smiling and wearing gray sweats with white socks and black slides, walking next to a sheriff's deputy who was pushing a cart with belongings inside.
"Oh yeah, oh yeah," Johnson said as supporters hugged him.
"I'm happy and excited and ready for the next phase now. Been a lot of years for something I didn't do," Johnson said, according to Oregon Public Broadcasting.
While Johnson had been sentenced to death after he was convicted in 2004, former Gov. John Kitzhaber declared a moratorium on executions in 2011. Last year, then Gov. Kate Brown commuted all of the state's 17 death sentences and ordered the dismantling of the state's execution chamber.
The Oregon Innocence Project, which represented Johnson during the appeal process, said racism played a role in Johnson's wrongful imprisonment. The group said Johnson's trial lawyers failed to interview a key witness who saw a White man fleeing the home of Thompson, who was Black.
"There were clear and unambiguous statements of racism by a detective involved in the case who discouraged a neighbor from sharing that she witnessed a White man running away from the scene on the night of the murder," said Steve Wax, Oregon Innocence Project's legal director.
That neighbor was Patricia Hubbard, but Johnson's trial lawyers didn't seek her out. Hubbard told investigators - who contacted her only after Johnson was convicted - she had seen a White man park his van in Thompson's driveway around 3:45 a.m. March 20, 1998, and go inside.
Seconds later, Hubbard heard screaming coming from Thompson's house, a thud and then silence. She said she then saw the White man run from the house.
Soon after the murder, another of Thompson's neighbors had brought a Salem police detective to Hubbard's house. When Hubbard began describing what she had seen, she alleges the detective said that a Black woman got murdered and a Black man is "going to pay for it."
The Oregon Court of Appeals noted Johnson's defense team failed to interview Hubbard when it reversed his murder conviction in October 2021.
The state resisted requests for additional DNA testing that could have revealed other suspects, Wax said. Johnson's DNA wasn't on any of the tested murder evidence.
"For 25 years, the State of Oregon has fought to defend their deeply flawed case against our former client, Jesse Johnson," Wax said in a statement. "There can be no more heinous injustice imaginable than for Mr. Johnson to have heard a sentence of death pronounced against him all those years ago in Marion County and to then waste away for years on death row."
In their request that the case be dismissed, prosecutors said no other suspect has been identified in Thompson's murder "despite ongoing investigation."
District Attorney Paige Clarkson and Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Wax said Johnson is now a free man "but has been left with absolutely nothing by the State of Oregon."
"He didn't even get the paltry amount of gate money that someone would usually get when released because the dismissal of his case means he isn't entitled to it," Wax said.
A GoFundMe launched on Johnson's behalf had raised more than $10,000 as of Thursday morning.
Johnson's freedom came just hours after a New York man was officially exonerated 47 years after he was found guilty of rape in 1976 — the longest-standing wrongful conviction to be overturned based on new DNA evidence in U.S. history, the Innocence Project said.
- In:
- Wrongful Convictions
veryGood! (67)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Morgan Wallen ‘not proud of my behavior’ after allegedly throwing a chair off Nashville rooftop
- Man City beats Chelsea with late Silva goal to make FA Cup final while Arsenal tops EPL
- Milwaukee teenager gets 13 years for shooting inside restaurant that killed 2 other teens
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- You Can Watch Taylor Swift and Post Malone’s “Fortnight” Music Video With a Broken Heart
- NBA games today: Everything to know about playoff schedule on Sunday
- Halloweentown Costars Kimberly J. Brown and Daniel Kountz Are Married
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Kyle Dake gains Olympic berth after father's recent death: 'I just really miss him'
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Share of US Catholics backing legal abortion rises as adherents remain at odds with church
- Conditions improve for students shot in Maryland park on ‘senior skip day’
- Massive honeybee colony takes over Pennsylvania home; thousands removed from walls
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Extinct snake that measured up to 50 feet long discovered in India
- Trump forced to listen silently to people insulting him as he trades a cocoon of adulation for court
- Boxer Ryan Garcia misses weight for Saturday fight, loses $1.5 million bet to Devin Haney
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
White Green: Emerging Star in Macro Strategic Investment
Idaho group says it is exploring a ballot initiative for abortion rights and reproductive care
A new, stable fiscal forecast for Kansas reinforces the dynamics of a debate over tax cuts
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Lama Rod describes himself as a Black Buddhist Southern Queen. He wants to free you from suffering.
Melania Trump, long absent from campaign, will appear at a Log Cabin Republicans event in Mar-a-Lago
2 teens charged in death of New York City woman whose body was found in duffel bag